Tuesday 25 March 2008

Airport Road!

After our holiday in the July the October break was looming and on an impulse I decided to take myself and my 2 girls back to Ontario. The girls were at that stage aged 7 and 14. Its not the first time I've taken the kids off without hubby. The last time we hit Spain at Easter and it was pouring with rain as we drove around to the sound of the 'Fun Boy 3' and 'Bananarama'! This time I contacted Great Escapes in Collingwood to see if the house we'd tried to book previously in July was free and it was! So with house booked, tickest booked and hire care booked we were off!
We flew on a practically empty Air transat flight from Newcastle to Toronto. This was because it was the last flight of the season. Coming in to land at Toronto I suddenly panicked......why had I brought the girls over 3,000 miles for a weeks holiday to Canada and in October when I could have popped over to Spain and been on the beach in the sunshine? Not only that but I'd never even been to Collingwood before! However this would be the least of my problems!
Tired after the flight we waited at passport control. I'd chosen the queue with the female officer as she appeared less intimidating......funny how appearances can be so deceptive!
Once we'd been called I gave her the passports and she asked if I had a letter from the children's father giving me permission to take them out of the UK...aargh! When I said I didn't she asked if I could prove they were my children. For a split second I thought of showing her my cesarean scar but found that my mouth had taken over and I was demanding that the girls tell her who I was!! I was so sure she was about to put us on the next flight home that I suggested she ring my husband in the UK. She told me to go through to the area behind the huge glass window (obviously this was so the audience of airline passengers could continue to watch my drama unfold!). The next officer was thankfully very sweet and explained how children disappear all the time. She said she would allow us in but that if we did not catch our return flight an alert would be put out for the children!! I was shaking like a leaf. We grabbed our bags and arrived at the car rental booth where the poor woman behind the counter asked how I was doing so I took that as my cue and poured out my heart to her!!!! She must have taken pity on us because there were squeals from the girls as we collected the car.... a real chick car, the type hubby and son would have hated!




Now all we had to do was find Airport Road..........

1 comment:

wobblyknee said...

Love the car!!!